The NI Science Festival is looking for a dynamic and ambitious new Director to lead the organisation and deliver on our mission to raise the level of science capital in society through world class events and experiences.
The Director is responsible for developing the organisation’s strategy, overseeing the development of the Festival programme and positioning Science Festivals NI within the scientific and cultural landscape. The Director ensures its activities, particularly the Festival programme, are relevant and exciting for a wide range of audiences including adults, children and young people and those who are not members of the science or engineering communities. The Festival comprises a blend of workshops, debates, talks, hands on activities, exhibits, digital engagement and educational activities and works with partners across industry and academia.
You will be a highly motivated person with proven management experience, preferably within the area of science communication and/or cultural management, establishing and maintaining relationships with stakeholders and the ability to identify opportunities for the development of the organisation.
You will be committed to, and work in accordance with, our Health & Safety, Safeguarding, Equality and other established policies and procedures. As this is a leadership role you will need to be flexible, undertaking such other duties as may be required, including working evenings, weekends and public holidays if required.
- Development of strategic direction for Science Festivals NI;
- Oversight and management of all Science Festivals NI activities, including the annual Northern Ireland Science Festival, to ensure science is accessible to a wide audience;
- Generation of funding for running of the organisation and delivery of its activities;
- Financial management of the organisation;
- Development of relationships with key stakeholders, funders, members of the scientific community, individuals and organsiations with an interest in public understanding of science;
- Represent Science Festivals NI at strategic and political levels and in the media;
- Draft and present financial, progress and performance reports to the Board of Trustees at monthly meetings;
- Manage and develop the Science Festivals NI team to ensure the aims of the organisation are achieved;
- Continued development of the Northern Ireland Science Festival to reach wider audiences, including children and young people and those outside the scientific community through innovative programming and working in partnership;
- Strengthen Science Festivals NI brand, profile and reputation among funders and external stakeholders;
- Responsibility for ensuring the health and safety of the Science Festivals NI team and ensuring adherence to all Science Festivals NI policies;
- This job description is not intended to be exhaustive. The post-holder will be expected to take on responsibilities and tasks as necessary to ensure the effective delivery of Science Festivals NI activities.