Starting at Carrick Cottage Cafe, you set off up the trail for approximately 5km before reaching Lower Cove, guided by local Earth Scientist, Mountain Leader and Rock Climbing Instructor James. You learn about the amazing geology and history of the area, learning how to ID the rocks at your feet, and also see a selection of rock found in other parts of the Mournes, helping to build a picture of how this stunning place came to be over the past 440 million years. Along the way, you also hear stories of the great Mourne Wall, where Geology and Engineering met to create a 22 mile long masterpiece.
Once we arrive at the base of Cove mountain and after a refuelling stop, you now get a different kind of “hands on” Geology, by exploring the huge cave that meanders through the mountain. Under safe guidance from our experienced team, you go INSIDE the huge monolith of Granite, before popping out on the summit, 50 metres above where you started! After exploring the rocks inside the hill, you then strap in to safety gear for an optional 150 foot abseil back to the ground – AMAZING!
This unique and exciting chance to explore the Geology of the Mournes is not to be missed, so grab friend and sign up while you can!
- Guided Geology Tour of the Central Mournes
- Fully qualified and experienced Rock Climbing Instructors & Mountain Leaders to guide you
- All technical equipment – harness, helmet etc
- First aid cover on the mountain
- Digital pictures and videos of your day so you can remember it forever
- A gret day out in the hills with lots of stunning views and interesting things to learn!
What To Bring
- A completed Health Declaration & Registration Form
- Any medication you may need
- Good hiking boots that are well broken in
- Map and compass if you have them
- A rucksack with waterproof liner
- Head torch with spare batteries
- Emergency bivvy / survival blanket - the orange plastic sheeting with foil blanket inside
- Fully charged mobile
- Water proof jacket and trousers
- Additional warm layers for emergency (down jacket for example)
- Lots of light top layers
- Hat and gloves
- Food and water
- Flask of hot drink - optional but awesome
Prior to coming, all participants must fill in a Registration Form and Coivd questionnaire. If you exhibit any symptoms of Covid-19, you must not come to the event.
Should government restrictions come into effect on the date of the course which would prevent us from running the activity, we will offer alternative dates on which to take part in the activity, or a credit note to the value of the missed activity, which can be used against any of our services or