View our previous festival websites
Join a Mountain Leader, geologist and tour guide for a guided hike in the Mourne Mountains. As you step out we will be navigating our way through 55 million years of geological action from violent volcanic activity to sculpting ice flows and finishing with the gentle flowing rivers which combined, created this amazing outdoor playground.
On this hike you will improve your Hill Walking Skills with our Mountain Leader and gain confidence to explore the outdoors at your leisure. Our geologist will show you how to interpret the surrounding landscape and will be stopping at key localities that provide evidence of this incredible geological story.
This is a great opportunity to see the Mournes in a different light. Whilst there are no big summit’s to bag, you will learn how to be self-reliant in the hills and explore the lesser-spotted parts of the Mourne Mountains.
Meeting at Trassey Car Park, our Mountain Leader & tour guide will talk through equipment, clothing and introduce some map skills before starting the day’s hike.
- Navigation – Map & Compass provided
- Safety – Shelters, Emergencies
- Natural History
- Flora & Fauna
- Geology & rock formations
- Leave No Trace – Countryside Ethics
- Full Waterproofs (Jacket & Trousers)
- Walking Boots / Approach Shoes / Fell Running Shoes
- Warm mid-layers (plus a spare)
- Medium Rucksack & Waterproof Liner (thick Bin Bag)
- Survival Bag
- Lunch, Snacks, Water, Hot Drink
- Hat & Gloves
- Head Torch
- Face Mask / Hand Sanitiser